Thursday, December 21, 2006

The State of Things

One day at a time. One choice at a time. One action at a time. There is only what is immediately before you in the swirl of chaos that is everyday life. If one so chooses, becoming a 'Master of The Multi-Task' can yield prodigious results. Where does it end though? There is always the next task no matter how many times you clone yourself.

My wife sent me a poem by a teenage cancer patient with six months to live. "Slow Dance" is a well written encapsulation of regret and advice to those who don't slow down to enjoy the simple things. It was my wife's way of telling me I'm missing out on things, and she's right...

I'm always trying to "turn the corner" at work yet never seem to get there. My involvement in community matters has taken up quite a bit of brain power not to mention tapped quite a bit of my emotional reserves, and the rat race has only just begun. My homegrown remedy: I bought my first electric guitar yesterday. That plus the next two weeks off will go a long way toward getting me in touch with the state of things.

I'm living in two worlds: Work/Community & Home. I wish the two wouldn't feel so mutually exclusive. It's hard to stay grounded when you are under attack on one side and painfully missed on the other. I'm nothing without my family, yet the pull to do more is so strong. One day at a time. One choice at a time. One action at a time....

No comments: