Thursday, December 29, 2005

The "Big Picture" for 2006 & Beyond

I've given some thought into what I'd like to convey in this little corner of the internet. As a father with his eye on sociopolitical issues, I am compelled to start the new year by looking at what I believe are the issues that will define the end of this decade. I've decided to post my thoughts on what I consider seven key issues to follow in a mini-series called "The Big Picture".

As we start the new year, I'm starting the clock on when the house of cards will fall. I hate feeling like a Chicken Little, but there is this convergence of issues that all seem to be coming to a head at relatively the same time. The topics I will write an will be : The Housing Market & the American Economy; The Energy Industry; The Bush White House & The Iraq War; Congressional Scandals & The American Political System; The Post-Modern Industrialization Era of China & India; The Rise of the Third World; & American Metropolitan Centers and the Domestic Agenda.

I actually wrote and called my congressional leaders to test the waters with the kind of response I'd get. Of course they'll never give me the time of day..... I'm no academia nut or policy hack, but I have a distinct feeling that at the core of the issues mentioned above is what I think is a dark threat; that the system of American governance we see today is not what the framers had in mind. Special interests have spent over two hundred years perfecting their influence. Our political system has been hypnotized, ethics have been compromised, and our government is in the strangle hold of a two party system that has devolved into a match of wills.

Am I being fatalistic? Maybe, but sitting here watching Noella fall asleep has reminded me that complacency will neither keep her safe nor guarantee her a future with opportunity....

No comments: