Saturday, December 17, 2005

One Eye on My Family, & the Other on...



The bond between a mother and a daughter is something special indeed. This random picture was taken 11/20/05...I can't remember why or where, but it tells me everthything I see and feel when I watch Christine & Noella together. As I write this, they are in Noella's room together doing something, what exactly I have no idea, but the time they spend together is precious. I'll do anything to protect them, and everytime I watch the news my thoughts are always connecting the lines between the relevance of current events and my family.

President Bush held a press conference today defending his executive order allowing the NSA to spy on Americans. Now, while I agree that we need to win the war of information, I do not see reason to circumvent the checks and balances created to make sure the actions we do take are within the spirit of the US Constitution. There is a special secret court within the US Justice Department that almost always approves warant for spying on Americans, so why does the Bush Administration feel it's justified to circumvent that?

I am suspicious of the timing of this leak and subsequent comments by the Bush Administration. Why did this come out on a Friday, the day of the week when newsmakers bury damaging stories before the weekend? Why did the NY Times wait one year to leak this? Is it a coincidence that all this started coming out as the Senate was debating the renewal of the US Patriot Act that was defeated by House procedures? The newsmakers in Washington are too smart for this and always ten steps ahead of everyone for it not to be a coincidence.

In any case, we are here at home waiting for a special guest coming to see Noella, and then we are off to do some more Christmas shopping. I hope I can keep my mind on those things and not get too distracted by current events...

No comments: